Friday, November 23, 2012

11-23-12

I miss the U-17 Miss Red Dot/ Silver Cloud Inns. She is on the slow boat to Doha. I bet a few other drivers miss their rides, too, but I decided to do something about it. I happen to know a chef aboard the freighter (met through facebook) and he smuggled a cell phone out to the deck so I could touch base with the boat. It went a little something like this:

U17: Hello?
Me: Hey, It’s Kip.
U17: Kip who? Haha, just kidding.
Me: Funny. How is the trek coming?
U17: Pretty OK. Rocking and rolling a little.
Me: Oh. Rough ride?
U17: No, pretty smooth. They set me next to the U-100 and there is a Def Leppard CD playing on loop. If I hear “Pour Some Sugar On Me” one more time, I am gonna drop my strut.
Me: Oh, I get it. Sorry about that. Hey, I wanted to touch base with you and make sure we are on the same page about Doha. We have really stunk up the series this year, and this is our chance to turn it around.
U17: You are not blaming that on me, are you?
Me: Don’t get an attitude. I am not pointing fingers. I just want to make sure you are ready to rock. I have an axe to grind with Old Smiley (Steve David) and he has been a little cocky, if you haven’t noticed.
U17: I am always ready to rock. If you guys would get your act together, we would be fine. And quit changing drivers. It confuses me. You know that your butt is the only one I want to feel in my cockpit. Of course I am going to throw a fit when someone else comes around. I felt so used.
Me: I apologize again, sweet pea. Believe me, if I could have driven, I would have. Thanks again for not tipping over when the steering broke.
U17: You’re welcome. I will take care of you. I always will. I love you.
Me: I love you too, U17. Try to tune out that butt- rock and get some sleep. We are gonna flog those guys when I get to Doha.
U17: Promise?
Me: I promise.

So, it started out a little rocky, but I think we are on the same page. I might call again, if my chef buddy will help me out. I will be sure to post the conversation if it happens.

Kip Brown

1 comment: